Presenters: Lisa Blum, PsyD and Silvina Irwin, PhD
Dates: October 14-16, 2016
This Relationship Enhancement Program is based on the book Hold Me Tight, by Sue Johnson, Ph.D., clinical psychologist and founder of Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT). EFT is the only model of couple intervention that uses a systematic, empirically validated theory of adult bonding as the basis for understanding and alleviating relationship problems. In this program, participants will learn about the science of adult love through the lens of attachment theory. There will be didactic presentations, guided discussions with the facilitators and other participants, demonstration videos, and experiential exercises to illustrate the steps of this model for creating stronger, more closely bonded relationships.
This course is designed for couples to learn and understand the science of attachment as it relates to their relationships, and to provide guidance and experiential training to improve their relationships. In addition, it is appropriate for mental health professionals who wish to learn more about EFT and attachment theory as it relates to counseling couples, and have expert guidance in experiential work applying that theory.
Time: See schedule below
CE Units: 14.0
Location: Lake Arrowhead Spa and Resort, 27984 HWY 189, Lake Arrowhead, CA 92352
Cost: $1100.00 per couple if registered by August 31, 2016.
Rate after August 31, 2015: $1250.00 per couple.
Please contact the EFT Resource Center at info@drlisablum for information on student discounts. Discounted rates are not guaranteed and are based on limited availability.
YOUR REGISTRATION INCLUDES
- Workshop registration for two
- Lively interactive group sessions with engaging teaching, film examples, and videos of couples demonstrating the exercises for couples.
- All program materials for you to take home and reference again as needed
- Expert guidance and support from experienced EFT therapists to help you successfully experience the exercises
- Snacks and beverages throughout the workshop
- Breakfast and lunch Saturday, Breakfast on Sunday.
Course Level: This course is suitable for beginning, intermediate and advanced-level practitioners.
Clicking on the registration button above will take you away from this web site to the EFT Resource Center registration page for this event.
Participants in this workshop will be able to:
- Define secure and insecure attachment using the terms of attachment theory.
- Describe the neurobiological underpinnings and health effects of secure attachment.
- Identify the three most common interaction patterns of couple distress.
- Describe how individual emotional vulnerabilities and personal attachment history contribute to the specific interactional patterns of couples in distress.
- List a 5-step process for interrupting a stuck pattern of couple disconnection and
- Describe and implement communication exercises that will deepen understanding of distress patterns, intimate relationships, and help people increase a sense of trust, connection and stability.
Lisa Blum, Psy.D. (PSY 19790) is a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in promoting healthy family relationships. Dr. Blum has worked as a mental health professional since 1987. Currently Dr. Blum is in private practice in Pasadena and West Hollywood, where her work includes individual, couples, and family therapy, and consultation, training, and public speaking on family, marital, and parenting issues. She has worked extensively with parents and children, teachers and staff both in clinical practice and in community settings, and she consults to public and private schools and organizations to develop programs that support families.
Dr. Blum is certified in Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) in her work with couples and families. EFT is one of the few research-validated therapies for helping couples and families strengthen relationships and build stronger connections.
Dr. Blum’s previous experience includes: Supervising Psychologist at the Institute for Girls’ Development in Pasadena; Supervising Psychologist for Children’s HospitalÂ¬-Los Angeles; Staff Researcher at the UCLA Center for Adolescent Health Promotion; and Director of Education for the HiTOPS Teen Health Center in Princeton, NJ, where she designed educational programs for teens, parents, and teachers on healthy adolescent development. Dr. Blum holds Masters and Doctoral degrees in Psychology from Rutgers University and a Bachelors degree in Psychology with honors from Cornell University.
Silvina Irwin, Ph.D. (PSY 19710) is a licensed clinical psychologist and certified EFT therapist and supervisor in private practice in Pasadena, CA. Dr. Irwin specializes in working with survivors of childhood and adult trauma, focusing on healing and recovery at the individual level, as well as addressing the impact that traumatic experiences have on intimate relationships in her work with couples. Dr. Irwin also provides treatment for mood and anxiety disorders and relationship and family distress. She works with individuals across the lifespan, including children, teens, and adults. In addition to providing clinical services, Dr. Irwin conducts trainings and workshops for professionals in the community, including the police department, Office of the District Attorney, therapists and psychology trainees at various centers, and medical staff at local hospitals to name a few.
Dr. Irwin trained at Harvard Medical School, and at the University of San Francisco, California Medical School. She received her Masters and Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology at the University of Massachusetts Boston. Prior to her work in private practice, she was a psychologist at the University of San Francisco providing clinical services, supervision, teaching and training, as well as conducted research on best-practices in the treatment of child trauma.
3:00pm – 3:30pm GENERAL INTRODUCTION TO THE PROGRAM
3:30pm – 4:30pm KEY CONCEPTS
– Attachment Theory, secure attachment, Neurobiological underpinnings. – power-point and video presentations
4:30pm – 4:50pm IN CLASS EXERCISE
– ARE conversations; “Goals” worksheet; Strengths worksheet
4:50 – 5:00 BREAK – 10 minutes
5:00 – 7:10 pm CONVERSATION 1: DEMON DIALOGUES
– Key Concepts (strategies to cope with disconnection, Fight or Flight strategies, typical negative “dance” or patterns of disconnection)
– In Class Exercise
9:00 am – 11:00 am CONVERSATION 2: KEY CONCEPTS- FINDING THE RAW SPOTS
– Key Concepts – Primary emotions, amygdala hijacking, vulnerability and shame
– In-Class Exercise
11:00 am – 11:10 am BREAK (10 min)
11:10 am – 1:10 pm CONVERSATION 3: REVISITING A ROCKY MOMENT
– Key Concepts – Feelings v. behavior, reactions and patterns, raw spots)
– Role Play
– In-Class Exercise
1:10 pm – 1:40 pm BREAK FOR LUNCH
1:40 pm – 5:00 pm HEALING INJURIES SEGMENT
– Key Concepts -Attachment injuries, Healing attachment injuries
– DVD Couple Example
– In Class Exercise: Healing Injuries
9:00 am – 9:45 am RECAP OF DAY 2 AND HOMEWORK REVIEW – 45 minutes
9:45 am – 11:45 am HOLD ME TIGHT SEGMENT
– Key Concepts: – Strengthening bonds, HMT conversations
– DVD Couple Example
– In Class Exercise: Hold Me Tight
11:45 am – 12 noon CONVERSATIONS 6 and 7
– Key Concepts
– Sexuality and Attachment
– Keeping the Love Alive
12 noon – 12:30 pm SUMMARY and CLOSING
– Summary slides on material covered in course
– Closing processing
12:30 pm Evaluations
Please go to the EFT Resource center website for more information, or click on the Registration button above
Illuminated Education is approved by the American Psychological Association
to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Illuminated Education maintains the responsibility for this program and its content.
California masters-level therapists licensed by the Board of Behavioral Sciences should note that the BBS accepts APA approval for continuing education activities.
If you are a psychologist or other mental health practitioner licensed outside of California, please check with your licensing board to make sure that APA sponsor approval is sufficient for CE credit in your state or province.
For assistance in assessing whether you can obtain credit for this course, please contact Illuminated Education (Dr. Chris Cooper, 626-744-9472, email@example.com).
For information about refunds and accommodations, please see the EFT Resource Center website (www.eftresourcecenter.com)