Presenter: Sushi Frausto, LMFT
The Creative Arts have historically been a way for humanity to express, discover, grow and connect. Combined with therapeutic and educational theories, the arts can wield powers of true transformation.
Expressive Art Therapy brings together various theoretical approaches and combines them with the artistic process to create spaces for healing and growth. In this course, we will discuss ways to make art safe and approachable, learn how to use various art modalities to foster development, and discover ways to incorporate the arts into the approaches you are already using.
But let’s not just talk! Come ready to experience the arts for yourself as we enjoy practicing interventions you can use for yourself and those you support.
When: August 6, 2021
Time: 9:00 am – 11:00 am
Location: This professional training session is a live, interactive webinar. We will send you the link to join the session after your register.
CE units: 2.0
Attendees will be able to
- Obtain an understanding of the theoretical framework, history and uses of Expressive Art Therapy and Expressive Art Therapy theory.
- Identify at least five concrete ways Expressive Art Therapy and Expressive Art Therapy theory fosters client/student socio-emotional growth and learning.
- Recognize the risks and safety precautions needed to safely apply Expressive Art Therapy and Expressive Art Therapy theory, as well as learn two interventions that can aid client containment.
- Explain two ways they can use Expressive Art Therapy and Expressive Art Therapy theory for their own self-care, including letting go of secondary trauma.
Course Level: Beginning to Intermediate (useful for psychologists/therapists new to this field and to those with some experience in this field)
Cost: $95 Early Bird Rate until June 30
- Then $110
- $75 Student Rate
Are you a part of a group? We offer a $10 discount to individuals coming in a group from an organization or school. Please register individually but provide the names of everyone in your group in the ‘order notes’ of checkout.
Please go to the registration page on the Institute for Girls’ Development website for more details.
8:45 – 9:00am Sign in via live chat
9:00 – 9:20 Get to Know Expressive Art Therapy
- Defining Expressive Art Therapy
- Brief History of Expressive Art Therapy
- Expressive Art Theory combined with other theoretical approaches
- Benefits of incorporating the arts into your work
9:20 – 10:00 Use Expressive Art Therapy to Promote Client Growth
- Use of the arts to aid self-exploration
- Intermodal processes to deepen and expand the client experience
- Connection to nonverbal and preverbal experiences
- Tapping into inner strengths and resilience
- Using the arts to cultivate concepts, learning, and skill-building
- Ability of the arts to foster integration
10:00 – 10:20 Experiential using Expressive Art Therapy Concepts
10:20 – 10:30 Important Considerations and Safety Precautions
- Power of the arts to break down defenses
- Client considerations
- How to foster a culture of safety
- Things to consider when communicating about client’s art
- Cultural considerations
- Material properties and safety risks
- How to recognize and support clients’ safety needs
10:30 – 10:45 Use Expressive Arts to Support the Therapist
- Using the arts to let go of secondary trauma
- Using the arts to build resilience, confidence and affirmation for the therapist
10:45 – 11:00 Closing Questions and Discussion
11:00 – Evaluations and sign out via live chat.
LOGISTICS (Sign in/out, evaluations and certificates)
You will be asked to sign in and out of the event using the Chat feature of the webinar platform (SecureVideo). With a completed sign-in/sign-out, certificates will be emailed to the address you provide when you register. In addition, you will find a course evaluation in the materials that will be emailed to you when you register. This is a Word document which you can fill in and save. Please do so and return it by email to cdcooper@IFGD.care.
Sushi Frausto is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, (LMFT 101031), who specializes in Expressive Art Therapy. She combines expressive arts with therapeutic approaches such as narrative, cognitive behavioral, dialectic and developmental therapy. Her expressive arts training includes the use of art materials, drama, music, poetry, writing, play and all forms of creative expression.
Sushi regularly writes articles and gives presentations at schools and parent groups on the importance of the creative arts, and she is a professional member of the International Expressive Arts Therapy Association. She earned her degree in Counseling Psychology and Expressive Art Therapy at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco, CA.
Illuminated Education is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Illuminated Education maintains the responsibility for this program and its content.
The California Board of Psychology accepts APA approval for continuing education credit. In addition, the California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts APA approval for CE activities for MFTs, LCSWs, LPPCs and/or LEPs.
Outside of California, please check with your licensing board to see whether APA approval is accepted for CE credit in your state. Please contact Dr. Chris Cooper (Illuminated Education CE Coordinator) if you have further questions (626-744-9472; firstname.lastname@example.org).
ACCOMMODATIONS, REFUNDS AND REQUESTS
If there are any accommodations which would be of benefit to you or if you would like a refund after you register, please contact Lisa Brooks, at LBrooks@IFGD.care or 626.585.8075 ext. 115.
For (1) questions about CE credit, or (2) if you have concerns about any aspect of the course or wish to know about the Illuminated Education grievance policy, please contact Dr. Chris Cooper, CE Coordinator, Illuminated Education (626-744-9472 or email@example.com)
For questions about program content please contact Paige Hobey, Director of Community Education and Outreach, at the Institute for Girls’ Development (626-585-8075 ext. 121) or PHobey@IFGD.care.